Salted Banoffee Tart
|1¼ c all-purpose flour
||chill 2+ hours
||place in pan
||chill 30 minutes
||blind bake 10 minutes at 375°F
||blind bake 20 minutes at 350°F
||remove foil and continue baking 10 minutes
|3 T sugar
|¼ t fine sea salt
|6 T cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
|1 large egg yolk
|½ t cider vinegar
|2 T cold water
|2 tins, 10 oz/300 mL each, sweetened condensed milk
||foil and place in water bath
||bake 2 hours at 425°F
||cool 20 minutes
|¼ t fleur de sel
Assembly & Topping
|2 large bananas, sliced
|2 T rum
|1 t pure vanilla extract
|prepared crust, from above
|chilled filling, from above
|1 t fleur de sel
|1½ cups whipping cream
|1½ t sugar
|½ t pure vanilla extract
|Toasted sliced almonds or chocolate shavings, for garnish
Make the Crust
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture has a rough, crumbly texture.
- Whisk egg yolk, vinegar and 2 T water together.
- Pour liquid into flour and combine.
- If dough does not come together into a ball, add additional 1 T
- Shape dough into a disc, wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
Make the Filling
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Scrape condensed milk into a 9″ pie plate and stir in
¼ t fleur de sel.
- Cover pie plate with foil and place in a larger pan with sides at
least 2″ high.
- Fill larger pan with 1″ water and place in oven.
- Cook condensed milk for 2 hours without stirring, topping water in
pan halfway through cooking.
- Uncover pie plate to cool for 20 minutes, then scrape toffee into
- Whisk until smooth and chill until ready to use.
Bake the Crust
- While condensed milk is cooking, roll out chilled dough on a
lightly floured surface to just under ¼″ thick.
- Line a 9″ removable-bottom fluted tart pan.
- Prick pastry with a fork and chill for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Line tart shell with foil and weight with dried beans or raw rice
(about 2 c).
- Bake tart shell on a baking tray for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake 20 minutes
- Remove foil and weights and bake tart shell 10 minutes before removing to cool.
Put it together
- Toss sliced bananas gently with rum and 1 t vanilla.
- Spread bananas in a single layer over cooled tart shell.
- Spread toffee filling over bananas.
- Sprinkle toffee with 1 t fleur de sel.
- Whip cream to medium peaks.
- Stir in sugar and remaining ½ t vanilla.
- Spread cream overtop toffee filling.
- Garnish with toasted sliced almonds or chocolate shavings.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Tart can be prepared up to a day in advance, and keeps for 2 days,
refrigerated. Although it kind of slumps once cut.
Makes about 1
Shamelessly stolen from LCBO's
Food & Drink