Creamy Vegan Lemon Bars
|1 c (120 g) raw cashews
||soak 1 hour
||blend until very creamy and smooth
||blend until smooth
||bake 20–23 minutes at 350°F
||rest 10 minutes
|1 c (240 g) coconut cream (the hardened portion at the top of full-fat coconut milk—about the amount from a 398 ml can)
|2 T (14 g) arrowroot or cornstarch
|⅔ c (120 ml) lemon juice (~2 large lemons)
|~2 T (4 g) lemon zest (~2 large lemons)
|pinch sea salt
|¼ c (60 ml) maple syrup, plus more to taste
|1 c (90 g) gluten-free oats
||blend to a fine meal
||bake 15 minutes at 350°F
||bake 5–8 minutes more at 375°F
|1 c (112 g) almonds
|¼ t sea salt
|2 T (24 g) coconut sugar
|1 T (15 ml) maple syrup
|4 T (60 g) coconut oil, melted
- Add raw cashews to a mixing bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Let rest uncovered for 1 hour. Then drain thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and line an 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add oats, almonds, sea salt, and coconut sugar to a high speed blender and mix on high until a fine meal is achieved.
- Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and add maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Stir with a spoon to combine until a loose dough is formed. You should be able to squeeze the mixture between two fingers and form a dough instead of it crumbling. If it's too dry, add more oil.
- Transfer mixture to the baking pan and spread evenly. Press down firmly until it’s evenly distributed and well packed.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then increase heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 5–8 minutes more, or until the edges are golden brown and there is some browning on the surface. Remove from oven to cool slightly, then reduce oven heat to 350°F (176°C).
- Once cashews are soaked and drained, add to a high speed blender with coconut cream, arrowroot starch, lemon juice, lemon zest, sea salt, and maple syrup. Mix on high until very creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. You may need more lemon zest and maple syrup. It should be very lemony, and not overly sweet.
- Pour filling over the pre-baked crust and spread into an even layer. Tap on counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20–23 minutes or until the edges look very slightly dry and the center appears “jiggly” but not liquidy.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, then transfer to refrigerator to let cool completely (uncovered) at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Shamelessly stolen from The Minamalist Baker.