Blair's Elephant Ice Cream
|6 large egg yolks
||heat until thick, stirring constantly
|1 c whole milk
|135 g sugar
|55 g black sesame powder
|pinch of salt
|2 c heavy cream
- Whisk the egg yolks together. Set aside.
- Put the cream in a large bowl with a strainer on top.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together in a medium saucepan.
- Heat on medium low until quite warm.
- Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and heat on medium low heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula and scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir.
- When the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (just before you get greyish sweet scrambled eggs), pour it through the strainer into the cream.
- Stir the cream and egg mixture together.
- Place the bowl in a cold water bath until cool.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge until cold.
- Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Yield: a generous litre
Barely modified from David Leibovitz's Kinako Ice Cream recipe, in The Perfect Scoop