|2 c pure maple syrup
|1 c heavy (double) cream (plus 2 T, if needed)
|1 T unsalted butter
|1 c (4 oz/125 g) walnuts, chopped
|1 c (4 oz/125 g) pecans, chopped
|½ t ground nutmeg
- Oil 2 baking sheets.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir together the maple
syrup and the 1 cup of cream.
- Clip a candy thermometer onto the side
of the pan. Boil until the thermometer registers 238°F
(114°C), about 15 minutes
- Remove from the heat and let cool to 220°F (104°C),
about 5 minutes
- Add the butter and stir just until melted and the mixture is
creamy, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the walnuts, pecans and nutmeg.
- Immediately, using a tablespoon, scoop up spoonfuls of the mixture
and drop onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing evenly. (If the
mixture becomes too dry to drop, add 2 tablespoons cream and stir over
low heat until melted.)
- Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room
temperature for up to 3 weeks
Makes about 2½ dozen
Shamelessly stolen from the Williams-Sonoma
Gifts from the Kitchen, recipes by Kristine Kidd