Confectioners' Sugar Icing
|3 c confectioner's (icing) sugar
||(mix in by drops)
|2 T milk, or as needed
|1½ T fresh lemon juice
|food colouring, optional
|coloured sugar crystals, optional
- Place the confectioners' sugar in a bowl.
- Add the 2 tablespoons milk and the lemon juice and stir until
- If the mixture is too thick to pipe or spread, then thin with a
small amount of additional milk.
- To colour the icing, mix in the food colouring, adding it by drops
until the desired shade is achieved. Alternatively, divide the icing
among several bowls and tint each portion a different colour.
- To spread the icing over cookies, use a small icing spatula or a
- To pipe the icing atop cookies, spoon the icing into a pastry
bag fitted with a small plain tip. Pipe decoratively over the cookies.
- To drizzle the icing over cookies, dip a fork into the icing and
wave it back and forth over the cookies.
- To decorate the icing-topped cookies with coloured sugar, sprinkle
on the sugar as soon as the cookies are iced.
- Place the cookies on a flat surface until the icing sets, about 2
hours. Store iced cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes about 1 cup
Shamelessly stolen from the Williams-Sonoma
Gifts from the Kitchen, recipes by Kristine Kidd