|8 oz (225 g) cream cheese, full- or reduced-fat, at room
||beat until smooth
||divide into cups
||bake for 25 minutes at 350°F (175°C)
|⅓ c (65 g) granulated sugar
|1 large egg, at room temperature
|2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
|1½ c (210 g) all-purpose flour
||stir just until smooth
|1 c (240 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
|5 T (30 g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder (not
|1 t baking soda
|¼ t salt
|1 c (250 ml) water
|⅓ c (85 ml) unflavoured vegetable oil
|1 T white or cider vinegar
|1 t vanilla extract
- Butter a 12-cup muffin tin, or line with paper muffin cups.
- For the filling:
- Beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate pieces.
- Set aside.
- For the batter:
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the water, oil, and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients, just until smooth. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups, and spoon a few tablespoons of filling into the center of each cupcake, dividing the filling evenly. The cups will be almost completely full.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350°F (175°C), or until the tops are slightly golden brown and the cupcakes feel springy when gently pressed.
Makes about 12 cupcakes.
Shamelessly stolen from David Leibowitz's The Great Book of Chocolate